From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:11:21 +0000
Further to my other post:

I have two versions of the Dvorak symphonies Kubelik on DG and Stephen
Gunzenhauser on Naxos.

Both of these are each excellent in their own way.

The Naxos set is laid back for sure.  Due, in no small part, to the sound.
But I've stuck with them and as my system has improved over the years these
have kept delivering.  I'd guess that they'd really suit a brighter HIFI.

The Kubelik has a certain amount of tape hiss but these are fine direct
performances nevertheless.

An absolutely essential set for any Dvorak fan is the Neeme Jarvi, with
SNO, recording of the Symphonic Poems + "My Home" overture.

The music takes a few plays to get to grips with as there are few
particularly memorable themes.  But in Jarvi's hands these are shown
to be attractive works.  The sound quality is excellent.

When I last looked this Jarvi two CD set was available from the Musical
Heritage society for next to nothing.  I recall someone somewhere (other
than this list) desparate to get their hands on these recordings, some
time ago.  So I, hope they're reading this now.

I did not like the Dvorak Cello concerto first time I heard it.
Then I re-visited it later via an obscure disc with Daniel Veis and the
Prague RSO and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It is coupled here with the Violin
concerto.  performed by Vaclav Hudecek.  The label is Panton's "The Very
Famous" (wot that never heard of it!!).

An even more off the beaten track disc I also really enjoyed is "Five
Bagatelles for String Orch" c/w "Sexteto for String Orch".  Only 55 mins
here.  But, it's catchy attractive stuff.  Performed here by Camerata
Nova (who?) on Campion.

Yettinother disc, I picked up in a sale for a song, is Dvorak's Requiem
OP89.  This version Karel Ancerl and the Berlin RSO on Forlane.  Lovely
music!!

So put the "New World" on the back shelf for a while and get out and listen
to some lesser known Dvorak you might enjoy it!

Bob Draper