From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:20:12 -0400
Jeffrey Hall asks:

>Dear CM fans, what are your favorite movements?

Let me nominate the opening movement of Beethoven's Symphony no.  5.
Though this entire work is listed as the favorite of many music-lovers,
most of the time they're thinking of just the first movement.

There are those who oppose the whole bleeding chunks business.  That's
fine, but for those of us who don't, let's see if we can't find some
movements that stand out from the works in which they are contained.
I think this first movement is a miracle of compact power.

The entire symphony is superb, sure.  But that first movement!  Wow.  We
should sent that thing out to space to represent the human race.  (I'm only
kidding.)

Arch