From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:37:27 -0700
Don Satz wrote:

>Mimi Ezust wrote:

>>So he doesn't like HIP...so what?  There are dozens of HIPSTERS who
>>don't like modern instruments.  Let them play what they enjoy and do
>>best.
>
>All well and good.  My objection to Zukerman's statements in the Fanfare
>article had nothing to do with his instrumental preferences.  It was the
>total lack of respect he displayed for HIP.  He attacked its foundation,
>motivation, skill level, and just about any other facet he could think of.
>It was as if he was conveying the theme, "my way or the highway".

I never heard of Zukerman saying these kinds of things about HIP
music/musicians.  Knowing what I know now about Zukerman's attitude,
the highway is beginning to look a LOT more attractive.  I think broad
derogatory statements about music, such as the statements made by "Mr.
Perfect" Pinchas Zukerman, are the products of a foolish and/or arrogant
mind.  I have lost a lot of respect for PZ since learning of his
high-rolling, "more classically correct-than-thou" mindset.  Such a pity
and a waste of a great talent.

--Wes