From:
Robert Stumpf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:19:12 -0500
Don Satz inquires:

>Kubelik has a full set on DG, and I think that'sreceived much acclaim.
>Are there any other full sets of merit? I could also buy on a one by one
>basis.  Reading the archives, it appeared that Szell was considered a great
>buy for the latter symphonies.  How about Gunzenhauser on Naxos?

I have the Kubelik and can strongly recommend them.  I got mine from
Musical Heritage Society.  The BMG Classics Club has the Kertesz set.
It got a rosette in the latest Penguin Guide.  I once had the 9th with
Kertesz, on LP, and it is very, very good.  Gunzenhauser's set is
excellent.  In fact, if all you want are the early symphonies, his are
complete on each disc.  The Kubelik and Kertesz sets divide some of the
early symphonies over different discs.  Avoid Jarvi.

Peace,
bob stumpf