From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 15:00:07 -0400
Steve S:

>It's worth noting, I think, that Copland never worked on
>a great film, though he worked on a couple of very good ones.

Surely William Wyler's The Heiress (1949) is more than just 'very good'...?
It of course won Copland an Oscar, and another for Olivia de Havilland,
but, more to the point, Wyler got first-rate performances from de
Havilland, Ralph Richardson and Montgomery Clift.  Pretty much the
entire cast!  Good script, too; no corn, even after 55 years.

For my part, I think de Havilland didn't get the ovation she deserved
when she recently showed up at the Oscars.  And I don't say so just
because she was once dreamy to look at.  (At least I don't _think_ so...)

Bert Bailey