From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:17:46 -0600
I've been listening . . . and listening to a Biddulph refurbishment of
recordings of Myra Hess from the period 1938-1942. Of course that was also
the time during which she was doing those courageous, intensely needed
daytime recitals and concerts at the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square
(and charging only one shilling admittance) during the early days of the
War.

I'd known who she was of course.  And I'd played her piano arrangement of
one of her signature tunes, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring." I'd even heard
her play the Brahms Second Concerto after the War; I was too young to know
what I was hearing.  All I remember is her noble bearing.

But I must tell you, folks, this recording from Biddulph has made me sit up
and listen . . . and listen.

The CD (Biddulph LHW 025) contains Schumann "Carnaval" (as well-played as
I've ever heard it; she really catches both the Florestan and the Eusebius
characters perfectly; "Chopin" is dreamily romantic), a genre piece by her
teacher, Tobias Matthay, "Elves", her arrangement of the aforesaid Bach,
plus five strongly played Brahms intermezzi (Op 76/2-3; Op 116/7, Op 117/1,
& Op 119/3) and, wonder of wonders, the Howard Ferguson f minor Piano
Sonata.

Oh, and the little Scarlatti sonata in G major (Longo 387; Kirkpatrick 35,;
Pestelli 20) played as a lightly sprung dance.  I can't sit still when she
plays it.  Have to dance.  Imagine my unsvelte 6'3" frame dancing if you
will.

I bought this from Berkshire many months ago and hadn't managed to listen
to it until recently.  I just checked and it's no longer available at
www.berkshirerecoutlet.com, more's the pity.  I certainly I hope it's
available *somewhere* for any who are interested because it's worth
whatever they're asking.

The transfers by David Lennick (a name new to me) are masterful.  One has
no sense at all that one is listening to recordings from 60 years ago.

Scott Morrison