From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 04:47:20 -0800
I recently bought a CD of a 1953 performance of Das Leid von Dder Erde
Bruno Walter/Philharmonic Society/Elna Nikolaidi/Set Svandolm (Music &
Arts).  Having tried in vain to find a substantial review of it I have
decided to write one of my own ...

I am NOT conviced by Mahler finding his works derivative and self-centred.
An exception, for me, is the wonderful Das Lied von der Erde which I feel
is his most imaginative, original and visionary work.  However, I have
struggled with some really over hyped recordings and following a positive
short review in a UK magazine decided to try a 1953 live concert
performance by Bruno Walter with the Philharmonic Society orchestra and
Elna Nikolaidi/Set Svanholm.

Let's start with the best.  Walter is visionary, passionate and reveals
many colours in the score.  Try the 4th song which fairly bounces along
with a lovely singing tone.  There is a moment where the chattering
woodwind made me smile and laugh - something I would not expect to have
happened with late Mahler!  Walter is quick, taking only 57 minutes
overall, and never confuses sentiment with sentimentality.  Walter also
made me aware of patterns and lines in the score that I had not heard
before.  He does not directly draw attention to them a la Sinopoli but
uses subtle rubato whilst always holding a stong overall line.  I think
Walter is the finest conductor I have heard in this piece.

The orchestral sound is firm and detailed, beautifully layered and
transparant.  The strings are especially expressive.  Try their soaring
line in the final crescendo or the dark obtuse colouring they bring to the
opening of the second movement.  Is this the NYPO under another name? I
suspect so.

Don't be put off by the warning on the back of the CD re the slight hum.
It is not a problem.  Also, the final few minutes are taken from another
source, but I did not notice the switch.  I would be interested to know
where it was recorded.  It is obviously in front of an audience (there
are coughs) but the sound is a little dry.  The infamous NY studio H? The
soloists are not too far forward, which is a fault with the Walter/Ferrier
Decca recording.

Set Svanholm sings with a strong clear voice, responding to the text and
matching Walter's line.  In the centre of the 5th song he produces a
beautiful soft tone.

My only caveat is Elna Nikolaidi, a singer I have not heard before.  Her
voice has a quick vibrato at times which takes getting used to.  Having
said that she is clearly a passionate, involved soloist.  The audience
begins clapping after her first song in obvious appreciation.  Her voice
has a beautiful womanly dark contralto quality and I prefer her to Ferrier.

Horenstein is too slow, Giulini seems detached, Klemper drags in the early
songs and Walter's 1952 recording is badly recorded with faults with the
playing (interesting to hear how much more expressive, precise, involved
and simply 'in tune' the NY pPhilharmonic Society orchestra was for Walter
in 1953 than the VPO was for the great conductor in 1952).

For Walter and his New York orchestra in particular this is my desert
island DLVDE.

Happy New Year,

David H.
Nottingham, UK