From:
Larry Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 16:37:23 -0500
Thanks to Mitch for posting the link to the slate article.  It seems to
me that the article overlooked a classic- and well known- retort by
Brahms.  I've heard that a review of Brahms' First Symphony contained
the criticism that the work owed rather much to Beethoven.  Brahms
reportedly replied, with understandable irritation, "Well any fool
could see that".

For those who might question my credentials as an authority on Brahms,
I offer the following link:

   http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,16488,1648818,00.html

Larry Sherwood