From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:16:16 -0400
William Boletta wrote:

>I once had the great pleasure of hearing him [John Cage] speak at the
>Univ.  of Virginia in the early seventies, and he said something that has
>always stuck with me.  It went something like this: "Music is everywhere.
>Musicians, composers, and audiences limit it to the concert hall settings,
>but if you really want to hear some music, try this.  The next time you are
>in line at the supermarket, just listen.  The voices you hear, the cash
>register ringing, the clatter of the shopping baskets: this is music."

It reminds me of background sounds accompanying the credits to the
BBC's *Are You Being Served* which some of us in the US can still see
occasionally on public TV.  I like the program and also the introductory
and concluding "theme" consisting of clanging cash registers, store
announcements, etc., which have their own musicality.

Walter Meyer