From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:26:29 -0500
Speaking of oboe concertos, I finally got ahold of the much-touted English
horn concerto "Colored Field" by Aaron Jay Kernis (with that name it would
have to be a class act!).  If I didn't know any better I'd have guessed
from the music that he's French.  Apart from being too long I found the
work very persuasive and enjoyable.  For those interested in comparison
to other composers I must say that I found Kernis recalling several others
(Debussy, Ravel, Mahler, Penderecki among them) without sounding like any
of them.

Much as I admire much of Bruckner's music he appears to have forgotten that
the music of all composers (as well as their body parts) comes from God as
much as his did--too bad that he lived too soon to read Heschel's
codification of this.

Aaron J. Rabushka
who would be writing an oboe concerto had not the ball been dropped on the
other end