From:
Tom Davey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 13:46:57 -0400
David Harbin writes:

>Craft was said to have taken a surprisingly Romantic approach
>that conveyed the excitement of a live performance.

Romantic or no, Craft seems to have special gift for early Schoenberg.
On his 60s-era Columbia recording of Pelleas and Melisande, Craft is the
only conductor I've ever heard who's been able to sort out the difficult
textures at the climax, conductor's marks 67 through 69.  Craft nails it
and the effect for once is properly shattering.

blog: http://www.monstersfromtheid.com/