From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 20:38:04 -0700
Karl Miller responds to me:

>>It's hard to fault composers as a group, at least for me.  I blame an
>>indifferent, incurious public,
>
>For me the question is, why might the public be indifferent and incurious?

I have no exact idea.  I do note that this indifference doesn't apply
just to music, but to any serious art.  How many people in the entire
country have read even someone as well known as Galway Kinnell or Anna
Akhmatova?  How many people have seen a painting by David Hockney or
Julian Freud, let alone Turner or Constable?

Steve Schwartz