From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:05:05 -0700
Laurence Glavin writes:

>Certainly LvB's life contains considerable dramatic fodder for a motion
>picture, but the final years?  I'm not sure.  Perhaps the contrast between
>the sordid nephew Karl custody dispute, and the soaring nature of
>Beethoven's creative output from 1817 thru 1826...

In fact, Paul Morrissey made a 1985 film about precisely this part
of Beethoven's life.  It is called "Beethoven's Nephew", probably
portrays Beethoven quite accurately, and is therefore profoundly depressing.
The film that Deryk Barker refers to, with Gary Oldman playing LvB, was
called "Immortal Beloved".  I thought it was pretty good: Oldman is a
skillfull actor,  the enchanting Isabella Rossellini played Countess
Erdoedy, there was plenty of soaring creative output, and Prague did
a fine job of playing early 19th century Vienna, as it always does.

Jon Gallant                and                    Dr. Phage