From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 07:43:37 PDT
Ray Bayles wrote:

>I have a hard time believing a person can love music and not love Mozart's.

Subjectively, I also have a hard time with that one.  When an individual
derives so much pleasure from a composer's music, it's only natural to
think that others will also.  But, that's not the way it goes.  My head
tells me that there's nothing wrong or odd about a classical music lover
not caring for a particular composer's music, including that of Mozart.

Although Bob Draper (et al) and I (et al) have engaged in some less than
friendly discussion concerning Mozart's music, I'm sure each of us fully
respects the other's opinion; there just isn't agreement.  For me, the
important thing is not that others agree with my views, but that others
support/defend/stand up for my right to possess individual views.  Bob
and I have just reach an impasse where he doesn't want to keep hearing
great things about Mozart, and I don't want to keep hearing negative things
about him.  I don't really know what to do about that one; positives and
negatives will continue to be posted, so better absorbing what we don't
want to read sounds like the best way to go.

Don Satz