From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:35:50 -0500
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>Any way, I wonder how others would approach this opportunity to open a good
>friend's ears to something that could greatly enrich her life.  I don't
>want to come across as pedantic or judgemental.  And I certainly don't want
>to alienate her husband!
>
>Mostly I am just admiring the sight of a person standing on the edge of
>this wonderful world full of so much potential.  Any advice is greatly
>appreciated.

About four and a half years ago somebody on this list requested suggestions
for a 90 minute tape of music that might be considered appropriate for
introducing a receptive novice to the scope and depth of classical music.
With appropriate caveats preannounced, this was my suggestion at the time:

1.  The Mendelssohn Violin concerto in its entirety.  It may be the perfect
concerto as Carmen is the perfect opera.  It's tuneful w/out being banal.
(What a wonderful refutation of the idea that works in a minor key need be
melancholic, etc.) The sister-in-law [for whom the list was to be compiled]
will experience in the most pleasurable way the sound of an orchestra and
a solo violin playing rapid virtuoso passages as well as the caressing, but
not sad, second movement.

2.  Chopin's Polonaise Militaire.  Stirring solo piano music which will
make you want to take up arms against the Czar.  The opening notes were, I
believe, the call signal of Radio Warsaw during World War II before it fell
to the Germans.

3.  The last movement to Beethoven's Quartet, Opus 59, No. 3.  My best
reason is that it was my first introductions to Beethoven's quartets and
it left me wanting more.  Actually, I couldn't believe what I was hearing
while I was hearing it.

4.  The second movement of Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.  Now there's
wistfulness for you.  I remember a tape of Leonard Bernstein explaining a
symphonic passage by Tchaikowsky as appropriately singable to "I want it,
I want it." This movement expresses somewhat the same feeling, but doesn't
need words to convey it.

5.  The "Magic Fire Music" from Wagner's Walkuere.  A small dose of Wagner.
If she doesn't like it, there's no sense in giving her more.  But if she
does....

6.  Mozart's Rondo in a minor for piano, K. 511.  One of those deceptively
innocent "pretty tunes" of Mozart, the deeper possibilities sneak up on you
as the piece progresses, leaving you wondering whether you are still
listening to the same piece you started out with

7.  The final (tomb) scene to Verdi's Aida, which I can only describe again
as I have before as excruciatingly beautiful.  Grand opera that withstands
parody.  Beautiful arias, beautiful ensemble singing.

I've written these works down in the order they occurred to me.  On
reviewing it, it I don't think I'd change it.

Walter Meyer