From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:01:58 PST
Denis Fodor wrote:

>Private control can also have dire consequences.  Let's face it, classical
>music is not in clover all over the "free" world.

I think it's doing great in the free world.  So much to choose from that I
can hardly keep with it.  It's private enterprise that provides it all to
me.  Enter state control, and it would all be screwed up within a year.

>In music requiring large forces some form of subsidization is required...
>My preference is to pay a small additional tax and, in rteturn, feel
>beholden to no fat cats--nor to have house maagements be beholden to them
>in matters of artistic policy.

The preference noted by Denis is good for him because he will enjoy the
beneift of large-scale live performances.  But, in essence, he will be
putting the monies of others in his pocket (most of whom have nothing to do
with classical music) so that he can enjoy himself.  In my situation, Denis
would be taking some of my bucks for his enjoyment while I have less for
the recordings I want to get.

You know, I'm getting frustrated with the notion that classical music is
hanging by a thread and needs outside help to survive.  It has endured
through the centuries because of the music, not intervention.  Let the
chips fall where they may.  I definitely do not like a process where
taxpayers help out Denis, me, or anyone else because he doesn't like
help from "fat cats"; he'd rather get it from middle-class folks.

Well, this topic has been interesting, but I've used up anything I have to
say about it, so this is the last you'll hear from me on this subject (for
now).  I'll just listen to some recordings provided by you-know-who.

Don Satz