From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:23:43 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>I have no idea what type of sound the average listener likes, and I have
>my doubts that record companies know either.

Well as to what they like...maybe we don't know, but we do know that
most listen at a volume lower than the actual performance.  Orchestra
recordings are usually compressed to about 80db range, while the orchestra
is capable of around 110db.  Most recording studios, including my little
set up at home, feature some lousy speakers since we figure most people
will be listening on that sort of system.  The research indicates that
those that value classical music, often have better systems.  That is
also supported by the notion that such surveys indicate that classical
music consumers are usually better off financially...unless of course
they end up spending a substantial portion of their income on CDs and
concerts...

>One thing seems clear to me - record companies like to offer a rich
>sound that can be rather homogenous with excessive reverberation.

I agree. A recording doesn't offer provide a "realistic" sound.

>When reading reviews, I often wonder how the reviewer listens - high or
>low voume, audio controls in flat position or not, headphones or not,
>time of day, etc.

or if they just had an emotional upset, etc.  What I appreciate is
someone like Donald or Steve and just about everyone on this list who
posts reviews, as their writing tells you that they have listened carefully
several times.

Karl