From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 22:33:55 -0400
In one of Berkshire Record Outlet's offerings of Brilliant's famous fire
sales I purchased a 15-CD set called "Sanctus 1000 Years of Sacred Music",
of which I've just listened to the first five.  The fifth CD contained, in
addition to J.S.  Bach's *Magnificat* and Vivaldi's *Gloria*, a work I'd
not heard before, whose composer was similarly unknown to me.  It was a
*Stabat Mater* by Antonio Caldara (1670-1736), a very impressive and lovely
work, finding which reestablished that new gems can still be discovered
even when rummaging among the more familiar stuff.

Walter Meyer