From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:27:45 +0200
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>Byron has been somewhat critical of Wynton Marsalis who, in Byron's view
>is too "neo-conservative.  Personally, I think there is room for both
>composers, and I enjoy both of their work.

Of course there is room for both.  I agree with Byron's views though and
Marsalis is basically a neo-bopper IMO.  But he is a great trumpet player
and I enjoy the way he seems to play almost effortlessly.  And he does a
mean Haydn concerto as well.

>List members may be interested to know that Byron is a frequent
>collaborator with Uri Caine--the pianist whose recent jazz reflections
>on Mahler provoked some comment here recently.  ...

I'm sure interested in this.  I have quite some klezmer recordings
(including those few sides that were cut back in the early years of this
century) but I didn't know Byron was involved as well.  I recently saw a
rerun of the Perlman documentary on Klezmer.  Nice stuff.  Could you maybe
mention the label for which Byron recorded klezmer?

Philip