From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:25:12 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>Now to the available versions.  There is an older set on EMI performed
>by Plasson which I have not heard.  Reviews were very good, but I'm not
>sure that availability is universal.

I have two CDs in the Plasson set.  The first Sym 2, Hymne A La Justice,
Overture.  The second is Sym 4, chant funebre.  I have listened to the
latter and was quite impressed.  The former is in my awaiting pile due
to be listened to soon.  I'll let you know.

I concur with you that these are attractive works (what I've heard).  Some
lesser known composers from this era are so derivative from Brahms etc that
(to me) they are unlistenable.  No such problems afflict Magnard's sym4.
He is his own man.

Bob Draper