From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:44:36 +1000
Don Satz wrote:

>>Concerning Walton, I'm interested in his chamber music, concertos, and
>>symphonies.  I do already have whatever Naxos has put out of his works
>>in these categories.  If you feel inclined to bring up other British
>>composers, that's fine too: Britten, Elgar, Hurlstone, Bax,, etc.

Virginia Knight, suspecting a windup, asked:

>Who's Hurlstone?  A name new to me, unless it's some horribly obvious
>pun on Purcell or Tippett or someone which I'm being too dim to spot.

William Hurlstone (1876-1906), born and died in London.  Premiered
his piano concerto but his asthma prevented a career as a pianist.  Became
professor of counterpoint at RCM.  There was a Lyrita CD of some orchestral
music and, IIRC, an LP containing his piano concerto.  Musicweb's search
engine provided quite a few useful links.  In one review, Rob Barnett
considers him "one of the lost great hopes of British music".

Richard Pennycuick