From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 04:27:37 PDT
Regarding John Cage, I have a two-disc set from the Bridge label, titled
"JOHN CAGE Sonatas and Interludes," BRIDGE 9081A/B.  One disc contains the
works performed by Aleck Karis on prepared piano.  The other disc is 23
minute recording of Cage reading "Composition in Retrospect," recorded in
1982.

In the opening remarks, Cage mentions mesostics, which are "texts" derived
from a word or a name.  For example, Cage uses the word "method" to create
"My memory of what happened is not what happened," or something to that
effect.  The work seems to be a collection of these mesostics.  A search
on the web turned up a piece of Compositions, which is written in a sort
of blank verse format.

After a few preliminary remarks, Cage begins reading.  Although
intelligence and sensitivity are present in the work, I have a hard time
grasping the whole of it while listening to it.  I would have to buy the
work to study it.  BTW, I was impressed by the number of works Cage wrote.

In the midst of all of the images Cage presents while reading his work,
one thing strikes me:  "The music never stops.  It is we who turn away".

Ron Chaplin