From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:52:50 +0100
Greetings List! I am Back!

I have dug into music as usual, and I mentioned before the great impact
Wagners music had on other composers, and now I have found another one just
ravishing:  Mahlers Piano Quartett!!  It is a young Mahlers work, but it is
full power and very charming.  The main melody is a derivata from Wotans
last monologue of "Die Walkuere ("Lebwohl du kuehnes herrliches Kind"), and
Mahler treats this material with absolutely ravishing technique.  When I
first heard it I though for honest that mahler was at least mid age when he
wrote it.  I say I would like to study Mahler closer.  I have my time now,
I will not know when life gives me time again.  But then, Mahler is a very
fine composer, maybe one of the very most genial.  But now I sit with the
scores to Niebelungen lying on my table.  I also want to study Wagners
genial development of the Leitmotifs of the Ring.  I don't know much in
life, but one thing I know; should I study Mahler works now, it will bring
me much pleasure, and it will probably make me happy.  But should I not go
for Die Walkuere now, and I will probably be unhappy and regret it the rest
of my life.  My apologizes to the Mahlerians for any inconvenience.

Meanwhile, you can take a look at my report from my interest in the topic
of Oriental influence in Wagners works, which follows in next post.  It is
nothing particulary interesting, but if you have time left; check it out!
I hope other interested contact me private if such exist.  Many thanks.

Mats Norrman