From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:30:07 -0500
Walter Meyer writes:

>I hope Don will include Janos Rolla's version w/the Liszt Ferenc Chamber
>Orchestra (Hungaroton 12818-11-2) in his reviews.

I'm sorry to disappoint Walter, but I don't have the Rolla version for
review.  Actually, a few others have mentioned versions I do not have.

I think it's best at this time to simply relate the versions that I am
reviewing:

Organ Versions - Alain on Erato, Fagius on BIS, Koito on Temperaments.

Organ & Piano - Gould on Sony.

Piano - Aldwell on Biddulph, MacGregor on Collins, Koroliov on Tacet, and
Nikolayeva on Hyperion.

Harpsichord - Moroney on Harmonia Mundi, Gilbert on Archiv, Hill on
Hanssler, and Leonhardt on Vanguard.

Multiple Instruments - Phantasm on Simax, Keller Quartett on ECM,
Alessandrini and Concerto Italiano on Opus 111, Amsterdam Loeki Stardust
Quartet on Channel Classics, and Savall and Hesperion XX on Astree.

Walter continued about Rolla and his chamber orchestra:

>I think they play the Art of the Fugue with sureness that gives it the
>dignity it deserves without sounding "relentless" as Don describes
>another performance.

I just wanted to clarify that I applied "relentless" to Kenneth Gilbert's
performance of Contrapunctus II; that adjective does not necessarily apply
to any other movements in his performance.  Also, I don't consider the
relentless attack inapppropriate for this fugue.  However, the relentless
style of performance will tend to dampen the projection of nuances in the
music.

Don Satz