From:
Robert Lyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:29:25 -0400
Karl Miller wrote:

>Ed Potter wrote:
>
>>Ravel - impressionist, post-impressionist, colourist or neo-classicist?
>>
>>I would be interested in your thoughts on this topic, whatever they may be.
>
>Impressionistic neo-classicist.
>
>[He, I was going to say that.  Or perhaps neoclassical impressionist.
>I'm not sure.  -Dave]

Does that mean Ravel gave the impression of being a neoclassicist, or
that he DID impressions of neoclassicists?

Actually, I would say that Ravel was a moderate eclectic (Unlike
Bernstein, for example, who I would call a flamboyant eclectic).  He
used a variety of compositional styles as tools.  The problem is, it
makes him impossible to classify.  I suppose you could call him a post-
neoclassical-romantic-colorimpressionist, but that would be silly.

Bob Lyman
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/7610/
http://www.artists-in-residence.com/users/radiance/