From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:57:15 -0500
Jim Tobin responds to my review of this work, available on a Koch CD:

>Having just heard this (twice) for the first time I really need to express
>a different kind of response.  If I were going to say the things Steve
>said about any Thompson work, it wouldn't be this one.  For one thing,
>I really like the instrumental writing, which is spare, vivid, and a
>prominent part of the work; the fine recording gave the instruments--and
>vocal soloists--real presence.  I don't much care for unaccompanied vocal
>music, which is why I admit to much preferring this and the really
>disdained Testament of Freedom to, say, Peaceable Kingdom.  There is great
>simplicity to this music (Nativity), to be sure, but there is much to like
>here.  It more than kept my attention.

I'd agree with most of this.  The orchestration is actually a marvel.
Thompson calls for only (as I recall) 13 instruments and gets a lot of
variety and even some power.  There is indeed a lot to like, and I tried to
point out what seemed compelling to me.  On the other hand, the Saint-Saens
Christmas Oratorio has a lot to like, too, and it is also very well-
written.  However, ultimately it comes down to a matter of what grabs you.
Despite the virtues of both Thompson and Saint-Saens, I can't say that the
two pieces in question do so on the whole.  However, I thank Jim for
speaking up for the other side.

Steve Schwartz