From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 01:01:42 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I would like to know if there is any music for violin and "obbligato"
>harpsichord (not playing continuo, but "real" melodic parts) from the
>same time of the six sonatas of J.S. Bach (first third of 18th century),
>although I know he was one of the first ones to write in this style.

Are you referring to the 6 unaccompanied sonatas and partitas for violin
or the sonatas for Violin and harpsichord? If the unaccompanied sonatas
are what you're referring to then listen to the sonatas with Harpsichord.
They are quite wonderful works.  The trouble is.......you need to find
a composer who was a great harpsichordist.  Composers like Vivaldi and
Corelli wrote only very simple parts for the harpsichord........this
was simply not their instrument.  They were in fact...only written as
continuo/figured bass.  Handel wrote some Violin sonatas from Opus 2 and
opus 5 I believe and if I remember correctly they were rather melodic
although I haven't given them a listen in years.  (Sorry George!) Try
these works out and I'm sure you'll find something to your liking!

--Wes