From:
Eric Nagamine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:15:27 -1000
Son Lieu wrote:

>Now that everyone on the list is talking about R. Strauss,
>I have a question about the Solti Rosenkavalier:
>
>Does anyone have it?

I heard it when it first was issued on CD.  While the LP was stunning
for sound and the best ever program notes in an opera set, the CD issue
was disappointing.  The CD mastering is bright and slightly shrill in
comparison to the LP and the notes don't compare to the original with
the Roller art.  The cast is excellent.  For me it's a toss up between
Schwarzkopf and Crespin.  On the whole the Decca/London cast is better and
the Solti led VPO is a plus.  If Decca has re-issued and remastered it then
it might be worth picking up.  It's still available as London/Decca 2LH3
417493.  I found it listed on the Tower website.

>I've been also trying to amass a modest collection of various recordings
>of the Four Last Songs.  How do you all feel about the Studer recording?

It's let down by Sinopoli's conducting.  Studer doesn't add anything
special to the recorded history of the work.

>the Auger recording?

On the other hand, Auger is excellent.  Previn does a fine job of
conducting the VPO.  The let down is a slightly glassy Telarc recording.

My recommendation for a semi-recent recording is the Felicity Lott/Jarvi
recording on Chandos. Lott was/is a fine Marschallin and her voice is fits
the 4 last songs as well. This was recently re-issued as a mid price disc
with some Capriccio excerpts. If the full price version is available, it
had other Strauss Lied which were well done.

>Have the songs ever been sung by a male voice?

Never been recorded AFAIK.

Aloha and Mahalo,

Eric Nagamine