From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:23:11 -0800
Roger Hecht ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Besides, this not just my opinion.  I've read it stated over and and over
>that American orchestras are expensive to record.  When you think of it,
>why else did the majors start recording big time in England? Because the
>orchestas were great and relatively cheap.  Ditto Naxos moving into Eastern
>Europe.  Wouldn't these companies record in the US if the prices were cheap
>enough? I'd think so.
>
>But it's been a long time.  This is how I understand and recall the
>situation, but if someone knows better, I'm interested in hearing it.

Still the case AFAIK.  I gather there were some fairly red faces onbly
a year or two back when the world premiere recording of Floyd's Susannah
(apparently one of the great 20th century American operas) was made in
Europe (Lyons?), almost entirely, I believe, for economic reasons.  I'm
not sure of the label, but I think it might have been Warner or whatever
they're calling themselves these days.

Deryk Barker