From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:55:18 -0600
A trip to a used CD store the other day -- here's a rarity: not only
is the store expanding, but they are buying classical CDs regardless
of make -- yielded an unexpected treasure: Matthias Goerne's and Alfred
Brendel's Winterreise, recorded in October 2003 live at Wigmore Hall
(Decca 28946-70922).  This disc has been out only for days in the U.S.,
and, I've heard, it is being released in Europe only in late March.  And
already someone turned it in.  I think it was a promo copy, as it has a
hole in the corner of the jewel case.  What an awful picture of Goerne
on this disc; well, that's not why I bought it.

I can't claim to know Winterreise very well, but I have listened to
recordings many times.  I've heard it done twice in live performance,
both times at the 2002 Colorado MahlerFest; the link between Schubert
and Mahler, and especially between Winterreise and Lieder eines fahrenden
Gesellen, is obvious enough.  The singer was Colorado University professor
Patrick Mason, who has recorded the cycle on Bridge.  Introducing that
performance, CU music professor Steve Bruns mentioned a few highlights
of Winterreise.  The one I remember best is that not only does the cycle
start out strangely -- the traveler begins his journey at night -- but
the very first note is in a baritone's upper register.  Schubert did
this to emphasize the traveler's feeling of alienation, Steve said.

I'm sure there is a lot to learn about this cycle.  Can anybody recommend
a book that leans toward the non-technical aspect of the work?  Something
along the lines of the Cambridge music series would be ideal.

Mitch Friedfeld