From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:26:42 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>I have the opportunity to get a great deal, price-wise, on two particular
>recordings; one is the Dvorak violin concerto on London performed by Pamela
>Frank, the other is the Schumann symphony set conducted by Dohnanyi.

I don't know about the first, but I purchased the Dohnanyi cycle when
it first came out and I highly recommend it.  The weakest link is the
"Rhenish" but his performance of the second is fabulous.  The first and
fourth are not far behind either.  The swift tempos near the end the last
movements of both the 1st and 4th are mind boggling.  I don't know if
Dohnanyi monkeyed around with the orchestration as Szell did.  Dohnanyi
brings a nice balance of power and finesse to each of these works.

Mark