From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:11:16 -0800
Donald Satz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>The preference noted by Denis is good for him because he will enjoy the
>beneift of large-scale live performances.  But, in essence, he will be
>putting the monies of others in his pocket (most of whom have nothing to do
>with classical music) so that he can enjoy himself.  In my situation, Denis
>would be taking some of my bucks for his enjoyment while I have less for
>the recordings I want to get.

Don, where do you think the money for corporate sponsorship comes from?

Advertising - which isn't free - and tax cuts, which *do* come directly out
of the pocket of every texpayer.

>You know, I'm getting frustrated with the notion that classical music is
>hanging by a thread and needs outside help to survive.  It has endured
>through the centuries because of the music, not intervention.

In 1930 the Berlin Philharmonic was on the verge of bankruptcy and was only
able to continue because of financial support from the German Government,
the government of Prussia and the city.

as many other have pointed out, historically this music has been supported
by monarchs, the aristocracy and the church.

>Let the chips fall where they may.  I definitely do not like a process
>where taxpayers help out Denis, me, or anyone else because he doesn't
>like help from "fat cats"; he'd rather get it from middle-class folks.

Don, this is so politically muddle-headed I couldn't even begin to reply.

Deryk Barker