From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 21:41:31 -0400
Thanks for the positive review!

Having recently become enraptured by Tveitt, I just returned from a two-
week visit to his haunts and memories in Bergen, Norheimsund and Olso.

To me, his greatest works remain the Hardanger Suites, where his genius
for orchstration, his love for geography and mastery of small, asymmetrical
forms are splendidly evident.  The Naxos recordings of these are musts for
anyone who loves program music.  Absolutists and High Modernists may want
to look elsewhere.

I uncovered a correction to one of the standard facts.  His "Prillar" was
not thrown away in bag; rather, its shreds were stored in a bag placed in
a box in his mother's house.  The box was discovered by his son some years
after the mother's effects were moved to a barn.

Examination of the score in the National Music Archives shows that it was
pierced in the upper right portion by a blunt instrument of some kind, then
torn in a semi-radial fashion into 3x3-inch shards.  The story goes that
Tveitt was despondant at the lack of performance of this work (probably
some time in the mid 1930s).  Prillar's first movement is a masterpiece of
unfettered, lyrical joy.  Thank goodness he or his mother saved it for us!

Jeff Dunn