From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 14:21:12 -0400
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Mats writes:
>
>>Although Edward Elgar was Englands leading composer, and in fact, the
>>first English composer who seriously challenged the composers on the
>>continent
>
>Oh, I don't know.  Byrd? Weelkes? Taverner? Tallis? Costeley? Purcell?

Perhaps Matt's statement makes sense in the context of the late
nineteenth century, when England was described by one prominent German
conductor as das land ohne musik.  Michael Steinberg in his book, "
The Concerto", relates how Fritz Kreisler tried (and succeeded) to get
Elgar to write a violin concerto by praising him to the skies at every
opportunity, and claiming that he was superior to any German contemporary.

>>Elgar had a natural aversion against strict counterpoint actually, but
>>that stemed from his idea of what kind of music he wanted to compose,
>>and not lack of manage of the craft.
>
>Really? He sure wrote enough of it.

A completely irresponsible writer on a prominent internet site has tried
to belittle Elgar as an untrained amateur.

Bernard Chasan