From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:12:37 -0800
Barry Blasser writes:

>But by splitting the performance space from the listening space,
>which only happened in the 20th century, reproducing classical music
>now contains a paradox.  The listening experience no longer matches
>the composers original intent.  Even with the most advanced equipment,
>it is impossible to record some aspects of spatial acoustics unless
>the listener designs his/her space with that intent.  The popular
>acceptance of the so called 5.1 surround sound format is extremely
>primitive with only a tiny "sweet spot." This format was simply
>borrowed from the cinema industry.  It is unclear the degree to
>which these split spaces are important to experiencing music.

On one hand, there is an old conductor who condescendingly said that
listening to recorded music was like "recieving a kiss through the
telephone."

But on the other hand, there are those who would pay $5.95 a min for
such things so it can't be *that* bad....

I think it's fun and admirable to make the home listening experience as
close as possible to the concert hall experience, but I don't think you
can have your conversation without inclusion of the human gift of
imagination.

John Smyth
Sac, CA