From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:48:57 +0100
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> drives around in his Dodge with Otto
Olssons G minor on full wolume (and turbo bass) in his cars CD-player:

>Otto Olsson (1879-1964) was a Swedish composer best known for his organ
>and choral works which still receive frequent exposure in his native land.

As we say in Sweden: "Uuh?"

>Olsson's Symphony in G minor, Op.11, is his first orchestral work and
>only symphony.  He wrote the work when he was 23 years old.  Being
>conservatively trained, this youthful symphony is basically romantic in
>nature.  It is a long work in four movements lasting 57 minutes.  Most
>impressive, the 3rd movement Adagio lasts a whopping 23 minutes.  Two of
>the movements, the 2nd and 4th, are fugues; Olsson had an affinity and
>mastery of counterpoint.

I disagree with Herr Satz here.  I have heard this particular recording,
and I think this symphony was a mistake, as Olsson made it too large, a
size he didn't master.  I see the same problems like in Respighis "Sinfonia
Drammatica" with this one.  Also that a work composed be a young man who
want to became famous, but still not has learned to master the largesized
movement building ups.  I think Olsson should have kept to his organworks,
which are not that bad, although they are not as often played as Herr Satz
seems to believe.  The counterpoint is fine through the symphony though,
and the symphony somewhat reminded me about Bruckners studies Nr.00 and
Nr.0

Mats Norrman