From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:26:12 +0000
Carlton Classics are doing a fantastic service to us in their budget label.
Here I focus on the Palestrina set.

I have 5 CDs from this series there may be more but I can't find out at the
moment and Carlton's web site is down.  The cds are:

Missas Brevis  and Lauda Sion
Missa Papae Marcelli Stabat Mater
Lamentations Of Jeremiah
Missas Aeterna and L'homme Arme (5vv)
Missa Assumpta est Maria and L'homme Arme (4vv)

All are performed by Pro Cantione Antiqua with Mark Brown.

These are excellent issues with clean clear sound and pure sonarity in the
singing.  The group take the decision to include plain chant interspersed
between the polyphonic pieces.  This they say is the 'authentic' way to
perform these works and that not to do so would be an injustice to
Palestrina.

I agree strongly here.  The chant breaks up the work in a very effective
way rather like a second subject relieves a first in sonata form.

Only one small niggle with this set.  There is a slight 'ch' sound when
the group attack the pieces.  It's not what one would call a silibance and
certainly not as annoying.  I think it is partly down to the accoustic in
the unnamed venue.  But it's a very small problem that one quickly adjusts
to.

Apart from the venue ommission the cds include useful and informative
booklets.  Typical of the Carlton Classics series but most unusual in
a budget issue.

You can buy all five of these CDs for a single full priced issue.  So if
you like early music there's absolutely no excused for not exploring this
repertiore.

Bob Draper
Promoting Early Music Today