From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:11:22 PDT
These are my favorite works:

Bach - Art of Fugue, Musical Offering, Partitas for Harpsichord, Goldberg
Variations, WTC, Cello Suites, Mass in b, and St. Matthew Passion.  There
are too many organ works and cantatas to mention.

Beethoven - Piano Sonata no. 29, String Quartet opus 95, Piano Quintet,
Piano Concerto no. 3, Choral Fantasia, and Symphony no. 9.

Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique; the first two movements are fantstic.

Brahms - Clarinet Sonatas and Quintet.

Debussy - Preludes.

Handel - Messiah.

Haydn - Late piano sonatas, and String Quartets opus 20 and 76.

Hummel - Piano Concerto in a.

Hindemith - Ludus Tonalis.

Janacek - On an Overgrown Path.

Mahler - Symphony no. 4.

Mozart - Piano Sonata K 331, Piano Quartets, Clarinet Quintet, Piano
Quintet, Piano concertos 17 thru 24, Clarinet Concerto, Flute and Harp
Concerto, Symphony no. 39, Great Mass, Cosi fan Tutte, Magic Flute, and
Marriage of Figaro.

Nielsen - String Quartet opus 14, Violin Concerto.

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no. 3.

Ravel - Pavane for Piano.

Satie - Gymnopedies for Piano.

Schubert - Piano Sonatas D 894 and 959, Piano Trios, String Quartets D 804
and 887, String Quintetand Trout Quintet.

Schumann - Kinderszenen, Kreisleriana, Piano Concerto.

Shostakovich - Preludes & Fugues opus 87, Preludes opus 34, Symphony no. 10.

Sibelius - Symphonies nos. 4 & 5, Violin Concerto.

Struass - Four Last Songs, Oboe Concerto.

Stravinsky - Petroushka.

Telemann - Der Tag des Gerichts (The Day of Judgement).

Weber - Grand Duo Concertant.

For the absolute best, I favor Art of Fugue for solo works, the Brahms
Clarinet Quintet for chamber, Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 24 for concertos,
Beethoven's 9th for symphonies, Mozart's Great Mass for choral, and the
Magic Flute for opera.  The Art of Fugue is the work I consider the most
significant in my life; either Gilbert on Archiv or MacGregor on Collins
can't be beat.  Gilbert's is the more introspective, Macgregor's the more
dynamic.

Don Satz