From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:23:41 +0000
Ray Bayles asked for details about the Hilary Hahn recording of
Beethoven's Violin Concerto.  It's on Sony 60584, conducted by David
Zinman.  The recording was made in June 1998 at the Meyerhoff Symphony
Hall in Baltimore; the coupling is Bernstein's Serenade for Violin and
Orchestra.

When I did a review of the Tenenbaum version on Essay, I used the
Hahn for comparison.  Tenenbaum gives an 'in your face' interpretation,
while Hahn is well integrated into the orchestral fabric without losing
distinctiveness.  It's a lovely version, not a dynamic or powerful one
- easy to recommend unless you want a heaven-storming account.

The Hahn/Zinman recording was nominated in 2000 for a Grammy Award and
was the March 99 Recording of the Month for Gramophone Magazine.

Don Satz