From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:43:55 -0600
From: David Runnion

>Don't most minuet/gigue movements have "da capo senza repitizione" written
>in? Isn't that standard performance practice?

The indication of "Da capo senza repetizione" is the exception rather
than the rule.  A few of Beethoven's piano sonatas have this written
after the trio; I'm not aware of any other Classical era composer who wrote
this in their respective piano works.  (In all fairness, I'm only familiar
with "the big three" and some Clementi.) The assumption then is that the
repeats are taken (ad libitum, I would guess) the second time around unless
specifically stated that they shouldn't.  I know that Clementi or Czerny or
some other pedagogue of the time stated that the repeats are supposed to be
taken unless the minuet/scherzo is very long.  I'm still trying to track
down where I read this.

Mark K. Ehlert