From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 22:55:38 +0100
Mimi Ezust's sensible advice ends with:

>Many times the composers who bore us at one time in our life turn out
>to be our favorites later.

Absol-hooting-lutely.  When studying music at school I quickly tired of
Bach, Haydn, Handel and all the music I deemed 'mathematical', since it
depended on logic and perfection of form rather than 'flights of emotion'
-- I knew EVERYTHING at age 17!  I moved on quickly to Shostakovich, Bax,
Sibelius, Strauss, Raff, Copland and from there to Aho, Eshpai, Denisov,
Carter (and Carpenter), Diamond, Birtwistle, Arnold,....

Now I'm back where I started -- listening to Bach's 48, Haydn's
Nelsonmesse and a variety of Handel operas.  But I have arrived here
via a magnificent journey of discovery that never seems to end -- and
takes in the Mozarts and Beethovens as well as the Tiomkins, Enescus and
Villa-Lobos' of this world -- with all the contributions they have made,
and all the lessons they have learned from those who bored me once, but
were truly the pathfinders, without whom our hobby, interest or passion
(obsession) would be infinitely less rich.

Tim Mahon