From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:26:33 -0500
Steve Schwartz:

>As long as music is concerned, no, I would not say it is only a
>matter of taste.  Otherwise, could anyone explain what ART is all about?

Philosophers have worried that bone forever.  Currently, the most sensible
theory, at least such it seems to me, is that art, including that of music,
is what is recognized as art by institutions considered authoritative by
particular societies.  No doubt a bit stuffy, and very likely prone to
manipulation by vested parties, but that may just be the best we can do.
Unless one accepts the notion that art is nothing but inspired
craftsmanship.  No doubt a bit too unstuffy, but less prone to
manipulation.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]