From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:39:43 -0500
Robert Peters wrote:

>The play tells a lot about the nature of genius vs.  talent.  It tells
>that someone who wants to make a deal with God and thinks that the giving
>of gifts like musical talent can be manipulated by a "good" and morally
>correct life-style will be surprised about life's unfairness.

To expand slightly, it's about a man who, frustrated as he is at having
been short-changed in the genius department, can't help noticing how God in
His unfairness, also keeps pulling the brass ring away from Mozart's grasp,
despite the latter's genius.  Thus, ironically, Salieri longed for genius
and was given only success, while Mozart, who took his own genius (which
Salieri felt was undeserved) for granted, could never get the coveted court
position or, if so, only at a reduced salary, and was even denied a normal
life expectancy.  It could even tempt some people into doubting their
faith.

For some Mozart is too important a figure, and one held in too
much affection, to be made the subject of a tale that is historically
inaccurate.  I myself find the episode of Salieri helping Mozart complete
his Requiem disquieting.  But I enjoyed the play and the film for the
musical passages recalling again of the works from which they were taken.
I also thought the speculations about the arbitrariness w/ which God
dispenses His favors (if there even is a God) an interesting subject
for film treatment.

Walter Meyer