From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:42:09 -0800
 [not associated with R.B. Cheney]

Instead of contemplating the attenuated light of the Evening Star, let's
create a Quasthoff recording list that will provide more megawatts.

I'll start with Mike Richter's first suggestion from the time of TQ's
appearance on the scene: Simon Boccanegra.  That's the kind of casting you
can already hear in your head, knowing that when he gets around singing it,
your anticipation will not measure up to reality.

I'd add Telramund, Iago, Posa.  Fortunately, TQ is already scheduled for
live performances of Amfortas and Don Fernando (but I'd love a "Fidelio"
with TQ also singing Don Pizarro and maybe Rocco as well...:)

Add Golaud, Scarpia, Jack Rance, Tonio, Papageno (he did wonderful excerpts
live in Oregon), Mercutio (Gounod), Malatesta, Belcore.

More? (Kindly refrain from suggesting Lortzing, else I'll counter with
"Hunyadi Laszlo.")

Janos Gereben/SF