From:
"Norman M. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:19:42 -0500
Christopher Webber replies to Norman M. Schwartz:

>He has a superficial biopic awareness of these things - which is no big
>deal - and gleaned most of his 'facts' from biographies anyone could pick
>up in their public library.

The "big deal" is that it help make him a widely recognized and wealthy
individual who reached very wide audiences on stage and screen, while mere
paupers such as us sit here talking to a one-another, numbering in the
thousands.

>>The booklet accompanying the CD "Mozart Unexpurgated", Scatological and
>>Other Songs, Canons and Piano Variations (Tall Poppies TP009) makes point
>>of Mozart's smutty sense of humor, with his references to "shit", "arses"
>>and "farts" along with "strings of childish onomatopoeia, ie.  "Muck chuck,
>>suck!".
>
>Your translation does the original German no justice.  It isn't quite
>childish onomatopoeia, but actually rather amusing.  What on earth is worth
>making a fuss about here, on stage or off?

"Huh"?

(1) Translation is NOT mine, but that found in the booklet, as I thought I
clearly stated.  (I happened to have failed the German tools language exam
many times on the way to earning my doctorate many moons ago.)

(2) No fuss whatsoever, a mere reflection of historical used by Shaffer
which some folks choose to toss aside and ignore, and only dwell on the
fiction side of the coin.

>Doesn't everyone use this kind of language in private life?

Not everyone! I for one do not!

Norman Schwartz