From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:51:56 +0000
     Joseph Jongen (1873-1953)
        The String Quartets

String Quartet No. 1 in C minor, Op. 3 (1894)
String Quartet No. 2 in A major, Op. 50 (1916)

Gong Quartet
Recorded May 2002
Released March 2004
Pavane Records ADW 7483 [69:24]

Pavane Records claims the recording of these two string quartets to be
a world premiere event, and I don't have any information to the contrary.
Although Joseph Jongen is most renowned for his organ music, he did
compose some string chamber music.  There are three string quartets, a
string trio, and two serenades for string quartet, all six works being
largely neglected since the advent of the recording medium.  Therefore,
one of the goals of this review is to report on the merit of a recorded
legacy for Jongen's first two string quartets.

Jongen had three distinct stylistic periods.  Through the first decade
of the 20th century, his music was most influenced by Franck and Faure.
After 1910, the compositions took on an impressionist personality and
by the late 1930's Jongen began to incorporate neo-classical elements
and modernist architecture into his sound world.

One would expect Jongen's Quartet in C minor to exhibit the realm of
French romanticism, and it fully lives up to this description including
the cyclical themes so prevalent in the music of Franck and d'Indy.  This
early Jongen work is in four movements and begins with a 1st Movement
in sonata form having a slow, dark, and pleading introduction.  The
ensuing Allegro section expertly mixes driving rhythms with sweet refrains
for a compelling contrast.  I do suggest that readers listen to this 1st
Movement at a high volume to fully capture the desperation in the Allegro.

The remaining three movements are each in ABA form.  The 2nd Movement
begins with a sweet and poignant Adagio followed by the second section
that is anxiety-ridden and marked "Allegro agitato".  The 3rd Movement
"Allegro scherzando" with its Prestissimo second section is relatively
tame but highly lyrical; overall, I would have appreciated a greater
degree of intensity such as the level Jongen provides in the 1st Movement.
The cyclic feature comes to center stage when the first section Adagio
from the 2nd Movement returns as the 4th Movement's second section.

The C minor Quartet is an excellent work, particularly when considering
the young age of the composer and the fact that he was largely self-taught
as a composer.  However, I do not find that the superb 1st Movement is
matched by any of the other three.

We now move forward twenty-two years for Jongen's String Quartet No. 2
in A major which is a more accomplished work than the C minor and different
in style as it is structured and phrased along impressionist lines.  The
most dramatic differences between the two works is that Jongen's music
now opens up to touch distant vistas, thematic development is more expert,
and themes are more numerous and often blended.  Perhaps most important,
the music gives the impression that Jongen is no longer trapped within
a strict architecture; he flows in whatever directions he likes, ever
mindful of the need to maintain coherency.  The A major is an exceptional
chamber work offering abundant melodic invention, mystery, emotional
investment, and a compelling elasticity of phrasing.

The 1st Movement "Allegro moderato" is a fine example of the variety
and blending of themes I mentioned above.  In this Movement alone, Jongen
gives us more themes and development than in the entire earlier Quartet.
Most impressive is the section beginning at [tr. 5, 2:52] where an
intense remorse and spiritual awakening are magnificently blended.  Jongen
invests the 2nd Movement "Lento" with soaring and poignant melodies, the
conclusion representing complete security and comfort.  The final movement
is marked "Molto vivo" and is an energetic and upbeat piece with a primary
theme that reminds me of a cowboy 'hoe-down' that would fit in well with
a motion picture such as "The Big Country".  There are also slower
introspective passages for contrast, and the ending is strong with its
powerful ascending lines.  This string quartet is prime-time composing
and the convincing reason to acquire the disc.  If you like Ravel's
String Quartet, Jongen's will surely yield many rewards.

The Gong Quartet was formed in 1986 and appears regularly in France,
Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands.  The group's Jongen performances
are excellent with a keen affinity for both romantic and impressionist
music.  The soundstage is a bit wiry, but I don't find this feature to
significantly distract from the interpretations.

Don's Conclusions: Jongen's String Quartet in A major is an outstanding
impressionist work deserving of much greater recognition, while the
C minor Quartet is a fine example of French romanticism.  I heartily
recommend this Pavane disc and hope that a recording of Jongen's String
Quartet No. 3, composed in 1921, will soon grace the Pavane catalog.

Don Satz