From:
Bob Zeidler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:33:33 EST
Robert Stumpf writes:

>...  live performances, you have only to listen to some of the BBC
>releases to realize the Mysterioso had it to the end.  A recent release
>from CALA which features the LSO Scheherazade, includes a live Marche
>Slave which will test anyone.  It was from a live concert celebrating
>Stokowski's 90th birthday.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I owe it to myself, as a Stokowski fan,
to try a BBC Legends CD. And of course CALA Stokowski releases have
the imprimatur of the Leopold Stokowski Society, a pretty good guarantee
that nothing subpar is going to slip through.

I stick by my comments regarding the M&A Ives/Messiaen/Britten CD (with
the LSO).  It is AWFUL!  But, not having the M&A "Pictures" (only the
Phase 4 LP), I cannot comment on it; simply exptrapolate from my own
unfortunate experience with the Ives/Messiaen/Britten.

Bob Zeidler