From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:00:00 +1100
Robert Floyd:

>It's time for my semiannual plug for eMusic, a subscription service that
>offers legal, high quality (192kbs VBR) MP3s with no DRM. For $20/month,
>you get 90 tracks, which, in the classical world, can be quite a few
>albums. eMusic's classical catalog used to be somewhat deficient, but
>take a look at the labels that are now available:

I would like to be a satisfied customer but eMusic refuses to accept my
credit card, despite the fact that CD outlets in a number of countries
are more than happy to do so.  A friend who subscribes has been most
enthusiastic about a Naxos CD of the violin and cello concertos by Bo
Linde.  I finally got the CD and after one hearing of the cello concerto,
I'm hoping that more of his music will come.  I was reminded to some
extent of Britten, whom the notes credit as a strong influence: the form
of the concerto is similar to that of Britten's Violin Concerto.  There
was also more than a hint of the Barber Cello Concerto.  Surely one of
the cellists who play the Dvorak or Elgar a million times a year might
like to take it up.

I was interested to note that the source of the CD is Swedish Society
Discofil.  I knew that Naxos had been re-releasing material from Delos
and Collins Classics, but I'd be interested to know if this is a one-off
or part of a package.  Has anyone heard anything?

Richard Pennycuick