From:
"Yoel L. Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 15:12:24 -0400
David Rothstein wrote:

>I have 2 performances of Mahler 2 with Janet Baker. Rattle/Birmingham
>and a live performance Klemperer/Bavarian RSO (most probably the best
>Mahler 2 I have). None with M. Stader. However I do have the Bruckner
>Mass#3 with her (Jochum) and she is stupendous, soaring above the
>orchestra, especially in the Kyrie.

In my view the BRSO under Klemperer is one of the best M2s on recording.
And thank you for reminding me to listen to the Jochum Bruckner _Geistliche
Chorwerke_.  OTOH the recently re-released Barbirolli M2 in the EMI The
Great Conductors of the 20th Century series is painful to listen to.  I
usually read reviews of recordings I have *already* heard.  Without
endorsing every word, this sums up in analytic terms that which my ears
and my heart told me when I had the painful experience of listening to
this recording a week or so ago.  N.B.: This is an April 5, 1970 live
performance (Stuttgart) and I have not heard the one under discussion

   http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=4788

  Yoel