From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 00:11:06 -0700
Although I came close, in fact, I have *not* attended all San Francisco
Symphony opening nights in the past 91 years.  And yet, I can say
confidently that there has been never one like tonight's in Davies Hall.
I share the fervent wish of the Symphony that there may not be a similar
one in the future.

The opening gala started 20 minutes late - something that under
punctual-Dutch Edo de Waart or strict-German Herbert Blomstedt could
never have happened - as the audience was herded in, not too efficiently,
from the various parties in tents adjacent to the hall.  The highlight
of the concert came immediately, Michael Tilson Thomas conducting the
audience splendidly in the "Star Spangled Banner." MTT looks and acts
completely relaxed, utterly comfortable, which is good...  except for
the lack of "creative tension," which has its own advantages.

Then came one of Tchaikovsky's most boisterous pieces, the "Coronation
March," employing 85 musicians, an orchestra that could do well for
Wagner.  The performance was almost loud enough to overcome sound of
conversations continuing unabated from the pre-concert parties.  The
piece of resistance followed, a rambunctious Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto
No. 1, with Jean-Yves Thibaudet, who not only abandoned his trademark
red socks (frankly, I was disappointed), but fought the music fiercely
and not always successfully.  It was an inconsistent, inelegant performance,
surprising from a pianist who does very well in repertory other than
Tchaikovsky or Gershwin (which he fairly botched a few weeks ago in Vail,
with the NY Philharmonic playing just as badly under the stars).

The chief attraction during the concerto was the accidental release of
some balloons from the ceiling of the hall, one after another, gently
hitting heads, being grabbed and instead of tossed away as would have
befitted the stadium atmosphere, they were hidden or popped - who could
tell in the din?

Then, after a long intermission, a significant sequence of events
unfolded. The audience was so noisy that MTT diverted from the program,
playing a fanfare-like short piece to regain control. As the noise level
subsided, he launched into the programmed Stravinsky "Firebird" Suite,
wisely disregarding the continued infrequent descent of balloons into the
audience, which seemed to amuse listeners and players alike. But he could
not ignore the fire alarm that sounded (probably in response to
Stravinsky's big bang in the score), lights flashing, a recorded
announcement advising orderly evacuation of the hall.

These false alarms happen, of course, but this one was different in
that officials - after taking their sweet time - decided to terminate
the concert, and divert the audience to the City Hall for some additional
lubrication with the most atrocious champagne in my vast experience.
Almost no one else seemed to mind, however.  An eventful opener in a
mellow city. Hey, as long as the Giants keep winning (and that other
team across the Bay)...

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org